Congratulations for considering adoption from the PEI Humane Society as your best option for adding a new pet to your home! We look forward to working with you to make the process both pleasant and practical with the goal of making the best match possible.
Each animal in our Shelter is an individual with its own distinct personality and characteristics– just like you. That’s why we recommend starting your search by reading the wonderful qualities and specific needs of each adoptable animal on our Dog Adoption, Cat Adoption or Rabbits & Pocket Pets Adoption pages. You can also visit the Shelter in person during our regular business hours (Mon – Fri from 11-5:30, Sat from 10:00 – 4:00 pm). Our staff will help you find out more about the animals, answer any questions you may have and help you visit with the animals outside of their kennels.
Important Pre-Adoption Information:
- You must be 18 years of age or older to adopt a pet from the PEI Humane Society
- Once you’ve made your decision to adoption, all you need to do is to complete our Adopter Information form. It is available in hard copy at the Shelter on online at these links:
- Your completed Adopter Information form will be reviewed by a staff member as soon as possible, taking into consideration our regular business hours.
- Our staff will be able to give you more information about when your adoption can be completed once you officially apply to adopt a specific animal.
- Some animals draw more interest than other animals or may have specific rehoming needs so we will accept applications from more than one potential adopter and select the home best suited for that animal’s individual needs. If you are not the successful adopter, your pre-approved Adoption Information form will be kept on file for six months, so you may choose another animal without re-submitting your information.
- Members of your family are always welcome to meet your new potential pet before you choose to submit an application. Dog adopters may also choose to arrange a meet & greet with dogs already in your home.
- In some instances, we may require you to bring members of your family and/or dogs already in your home to meet with a dog at the Shelter before the adoption can be completed.
On Adoption Day
We will book a time to complete your adoption as soon as possible, working with your availability and our hours of operation. The adoption process can take up to 20 minutes to complete. We will review your Adoption Agreement, explain the pet insurance program, and answer any questions you may have. Then you and your new pet can head home!
- Cat adopters will be required to provide a cat carrier at the time of adoption or to purchase one of our low-cost cat carriers to transport their new pet home.
- Dog adopters will be required to purchase an appropriate dog license for their municipality at the time of adoption and to provide a collar and leash to safely transport their dog home.
- Rabbit and Pocket Pet adopters will be required to provide their own carrier to safely transport their new pet home.
If you have any questions, please contact us:
By phone: (902) 892-1190, Ext. 21
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org